Thursday 19 July 2012

Orange Jam Recipe

Maybe this is marmalade, not sure, but I always feel that needs to be made with Seville Oranges. I actually prefer the slightly sweeter taste of Orange Jam made with normal oranges. But Doug prefers the real thng. This goes well with cheese too.

I tend to make jam in small batches (I think I mentioned in another recipe) as I prefer a soft set and there are only two of us (discounting all the animals who I am sure would love jam but are not getting it) so there is a limit to what we get through. You can scale up if you require.

4 oranges
Equal weight of sugar as oranges (800g when I made this batch)
Juice of one lemon (per kg approx)
2 cups of water

Halve and juice the oranges.
Chop the remaining rind and pith in to small pieces.
 (I like my rind cut very finely but it is hard work so the resulting size is a balance between how thin I would like it and how thin I can be bothered to cut it. Some recipes suggest you can chop in a blender but I have always found this just gives you orange puree. Perhaps a different blender would give different result)
Put orange juice, lemon juice, water and chopped rind in a pan (this needs to come no more than a third of the way up the pan at this stage as you need room for sugar and to boil) and bring to the boil with the lid on.
Simmer for about 30 mins until the rind is soft and mushy if you bite a bit. The jam should appear quite gloopy at this stage as the water has soaked in to the rind (and some boiled off). If it is runny boil for a bit longer.

Add the sugar and stir until disolved then bring back to the boil and boil until a set is achieved (maybe 30 mins). I test for this by waiting until the jam falls off a wooden spoon in a sheet rather than a single dribble when you pull the spoon out of the jam. There are various different methods if you do a google search.


Put in to clean jars and add a wax top if you wish (I can't find them in France). Store in a dark place.

No comments:

Post a Comment