Thursday 12 July 2012

Eeuuurgh!!!!!

This is another post I can't put a photo on for reasons of taste.
Poppy has tapeworm. Now I yet again now more about something I don't want to know about, but need to in this new life. Don't read on if you are easily grossed out (like me)...
We found a short fat worm hanging out her butt hole which I had to pick off and study, it was still wiggling eeeeeugh grosss vomit etc.
After studying the internet I decided it was a bit of tapeworm (the end drops off with eggs in and are often found on the fur around the dogs/cats chocolate starfish). When I recovered from feeling faint after all the gross things I had read about different types of worms that it could be I popped by the vet on the way to the supermarket. Poppy was wormed about 2 weeks ago but I couldn't manage to understand from the internet whether the type of vermifuge (wormer) she had had should have killed tapeworm or not.
After looking at some more lovely pictures of worms with the nurse to make sure of identification she said that the wormer Poppy had had didn't cover tapeworm, so now I have got some different wormer to give her.
You will be please (but not as pleased as me) to hear that we are unlikely to get tapeworm from her because the eggs need to be eaten by a flea then you would need to eat the flea to get the worms. Maybe other people know these things and haven't lived such a sheltered life as me!

2 comments:

  1. ugh.
    You have been brought up as an urban animal - so no reason to have come across all this before.
    You have to wonder what next - - - .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a tick on my bum. They are eeeurgh too.

      Delete