Friday 8 June 2012

Apricot Jam Recipe

We wanted to have something to take with us when visiting some of the people we have met so I set about making some jam. I wasn't sure how good the apricots would be at this time of year so I just made a small batch to start with. It must be one of the simplest james to make.


Equal weight of Apricts and Sugar (eg I made 700g Apricots with 700g sugar)

Remove the stones and cut Apricts in to pieces - you can leave quite bit bits eg half an apricot or chop smaller depending how you want the jam to come out. I like big pieces of apricot in the finished jam but not too big so they are hard to keep on the bread so I usually cut in to quarters

Put in a pan and heat gently until the fruit softens.

Add sugar and bring to the boil and boil for about 15 mins

Test for a set. I do this by pulling the wooden spoon out of the jam, if it flows of in a single stream it is not ready, if it is coming of the spoon at multiple points and in drips rather than a even flow then it is ready... or use your own method...

Put in to sterilised jars (I just put the jars through the dishwasher just before I plan on using them) and top with a wax disc (I often don't bother with these as I generally make small batches that will be eaten quite quick)





No comments:

Post a Comment