Monday 4 September 2017

Toastmasters - General Evaluator

In each Toastmasters meeting we try to have everyone speak (even if just to introduce yourself as a guest) and then almost everyone is evaluated. There is an evaluator for table topics and one for each of the prepared speeches. There is then a General Evaluator who evaluates the meeting as a whole and all the people with roles who have not been evaluated by someone else.
This means giving general comments on the how the meeting ran (eg did it run on time, were people told how to get out in a fire etc), plus The Toastmaster, The Sergeant at Arms, The President, The Grammarian, The Timekeeper and the other evaluators.
I performed this role for the first time, at my last meeting at Toastmasters for a while at least.
It is quite a tricky role as there are a lot of people to listen to and come up with encouragement and suggestions for. Generally a good pattern for evaluations is commend/recommend/commend and I tried to follow this pattern.
It was a relatively quiet meeting as it was an extra one that had been fitted in where we missed one for the August bank holiday so not everyone was able to attend. Good number of guests though.

These are my notes, I obviously had to make them more coherent, I think I succeeded, but the General Evaluator is not evaluated so I cannot say for sure...


I had a good time at Toastmasters and hope to be back at some point. I had a look but there are no clubs near to us in France :) In French could have been a bit challenging anyway and not sure how I would fit it in with the cycling, yoga, animals, house building schedule anyway.

The certificate here was just for taking part. Toastmasters like certificates and stuff as encouragement. This was a table topics competition and I was RUBBISH - but I still get a certificate, hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment