Tuesday 7 March 2017

Toastmasters 3 - Get to the point - What's the worst that can happen?

This time of year is competition time at Toastmasters with the International Speech competition and the evaluation competition taking place in each club. Then the winners from the club competitions go on to area competitions etc.
I took part in our evaluation competition - didn't really want to, but was talked in to it and decided it was good experience anyway.
Here is me getting given a certificate for taking part by the competition chair. I think we can say I came last out of five - though only the top three are awarded places - and the winner goes on to the area competition.

For the evaluation competition there needs to be a speaker for people to evaluate, so I went and did a speech for another club called Angel Speakers. There were three evaluators so useful way of getting extra feedback!

This was my third speech in the Competent Communicators manual which is the basis of the training at Toastmasters. There is a photo of this somewhere too - I will add it if I get hold of it...

Each speech in the manual has a goal to teach you something about giving speeches. The goal of this speech is to have a point and to present it clearly.


What's the worst that can happen?

On the one hand - I tend to be cautious, as a child I would never go fast around corners on my bike because I could imagine too vividly what might happen; my face grating along the road. 
On the other hand - I get bored very easily and I believe that as you only live once, so you had better do it right. 

Mr competition chair, fellow toastmasters and guests 

Over the years I have developed a technique to balance these two sides of myself and ensure my overactive imagination is a good thing - having fun ideas - rather than a bad thing - giving me the fear. Because I think that other people are also being held back by a cautions nature, I am planning to make my million writing a self help book. Working title - What's the worst that can happen? A technique for a life less ordinary. 

In my speech tonight I am going to; explain my concept, I'm going to persuade you to try out my 'what's the worst that can happen' technique and finally I'm going to cover how I will work this in to a book. 

The concept is simple, you need to say your fear out loud, to pull it out of your subconscious and make it in to an articulated thing you can consider and conquer. 
I do this by asking my overactive imagination, 'What's the worst that can happen?'. 

The best way to illustrate this is with an example - Let's pretend I haven't yet joined Toastmasters and take the question 'Should I go to Toastmasters?' 
So - (standing center) Should I go to Toastmasters? 
Rhoda - (standing to one side) What's the worst that can happen? 
My over active imagination - (standing to the other side) You stand up in front of everyone and can't come up with anything to say and burst in to tears. 

Now I need to think about this answer. Unfortunately my response to many strong emotions from surprise and happiness to fear and anger is tears that become unstoppable if I try to speak, so this is not totally out of the question. However would it really be that bad? I don't know anyone there and I don't need to see any of them ever again if it is too awful. You can see what the outcome of this was - and I haven't burst in to tears - yet.

Now you understand the basics, how can you try it? 
Just go for it, its simple and it works with all sorts of decisions, big and small. 
The important thing is to let the part answering the question be honest and then consider that answer carefully. Usually it is something that could happen, but if you think about it consciously it is either not very likely or it wouldn't be that bad 

For example: Should my husband and I leave London and move to the French countryside? 
What's the worst that can happen? 
We hate the countryside and fall out and get divorced and I die poor and alone. 
Not very likely 

Should I ski this bit of off piste? 
What's the worst that can happen? 
I break many bones and am left paralyzed from the neck down. 
Not very likely 

Should I tell my boss various things I think he is doing wrong? 
What's the worst that can happen? 
He fires me. 
Not that likely, but anyway if it is that bad being set free to find something better might be a good thing. 

So, I have explained the concept, I have suggested how you can try it, and now, how will I work this in to a book, given that this speech is probably about one side of A4. 
There will be three themes: 
First - More detail on what I have explained today, including how to assess the personalities of your different sides, how to ask the questions and how to get an honest answer. 
Second - Details on the science of how the technique works with research showing it does work and discussion on similar techniques such as stoicism. 
Third - many many MANY more thrilling stories and details from my own life 

Finally 
Feel free to let me know whether 
a) You think this is a fabulous idea for a book and I will certainly make my million 
b) You think this is a rubbish idea 
c) You think I am a nut case and should seek help 

I will leave you with some advice - whether you use this technique or not, if in doubt, do it - and that's the way to have a Life Less Ordinary!


The feedback I got on this was:
  • Make better eye contact, sometimes you were staring above the audience.
  • Move more freely around the stage you seem a bit frozen
  • Don't clasp your hands so much.


From myself - I felt I rushed somewhat in an effort not to forget what I was going to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment