Tuesday 14 March 2017

Toastmasters - Table Topics Master again

I like being Table Topic Master because it means I don't need to do a topic myself and can inflict fun questions on other people. I really enjoy the answers they come up with. In the past I have generally asked questions about people in a nosy kind of way because I enjoy the answers.
However last weekend I happened to have a GREAT idea for next time I did it. Then as luck would have it there was no-one doing it this week so I was asked reasonably last moment to step in.
Fortunate I was a Girl Guide and always prepared...

This is approximately how it went - the topic master always explains why we do table topics first and what people need to do because there can be guests there who are taking part. As the topics master you can do this in any way you want

Why do we do table topics?
There are many situations where it is useful to be able to speak about something coherently on the spur of the moment, both socially and at work.
It is also so that people who don't have a speaking role get to speak and so that guests have a chance to speak and get a taste of the fun.

How do we do them?
You have a minute to a minute and a half to speak on the subject I give you. Green light is 1 minute, amber is 1 min 15 and red 1 min 30. Aim for between the Green and Red light somewhere.

What are my table topics about today?
'The exception that proves the rule' - this is a saying that has been bugging me for year. If there is an exception then the rule is not true, an exception cannot prove a rule. BUT I have finally found a reasonable explanation of its meaning. For example if there is a sign that says 'No parking on Sundays' this shows that parking is allowed other days. So the exception 'No parking on Sundays' proves that there is a rule that parking is allowed other days.

I have some sayings for you. They are more common and comprehensible than this one. You can tell me about what you think it means, why it is rubbish or just something it makes you think of.

  • A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link
  • A change is as good as a rest
  • A good man is hard to find 
  • A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
  • A miss is as good as a mile
  • A picture paints a thousand words
  • Actions speak louder than words
  • A stitch in time saves nine
People mainly managed to talk coherently for something approaching the full time which for me is an indication that the topics where suitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment