Saturday 20 February 2016

Making curtains

I need to write this down so I remember for the next set. After these two there are still four more to go before the (London) flat is fully equiped. I should do some net curtains as well - I hate the things but they would fit in with the neighbours.

These come to just below the window and I made the lining 9cm shorter as it should come down to higher than the curtain and only has a single hem
The material is 142cm wide and the lining is 136cm wide. Ideally there sould be a bit of a bigger difference in width but that worked ok.

Hem lining with 5cm hem
Line up top of lining and curtain with right sides facing
Sew down the sides (with equal hem on both so lining remains narrower)
Sew tops together (2cm). Make sure you fold so equal amount of curtain wraps over on each side.
Machine 2 cm hem at bottom of curtain.
For these curtains I sewed down the side creases as the material wouldn't hold the well when ironed.
Then attach gather tape 5cm from top.
Hang the curtains and hand stitch final hem.
The final hemming still needs doing in this photo which is why they are draping on top of the radiator a bit. Doug kindly pointed out that many Weatherill curtains remain unhemmed for years rather than just the few days needed to let the fabric stretch to its full length. Slander I say.

The builders over the road will be pleased these are finished as they won't have to see me getting my underwear off the drying rack many mornings - less than suitably dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment