Wednesday 26 September 2012

Princess Prescilla Pashley

I have finally got round to unpacking my bike. The wheels had been taken off and the handlebars turned sideways for transport. It took a bit of fiddling to get the hub gears and brakes connected up but all seems good now.


She is a Pashley Britannia which is basically the same as a Pashley Princess hence the name.

It is a 'dutch bike' which refers to the style not where it is made. I presume because they are good on the flat!
It has 5 gears (they are internal hub gears) and the lowest one is not very low when faced with the hills around here. I am thinking about changing the front chainset for a smaller one which will lower all 5 gears. This should be ok I think because I am not that keen on going fast, so 5th hardly every gets used anyway as it is.

I am a bit confused though how much change to make. My impression is that about 10% change in the number of teeth (I need to go and count them) would be good. I will need a new chain also. Have to get round to going to the bike shop in town.

We have a dream of being able to cycle with Poppy running alongside as we have seen a number of people round here doing. At the moment when faced with anything with wheels (wheelbarrow, lawn mower, bikes - not cars fortunately) she alternates between running along in front barking, and biting whatever bit she can get her teeth one - ones foot typically in the case of a bike. Dream might be fulfilled in about 10 years time I think.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just read your post, and the easiest and least expensive way to lower your gearing is to add more teeth to the rear cog on the hub. I think you have 18 teeth now, try 20 or 22. You may not need to replace the chain as well.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for your advice! This is more helpful than I got asking about it on some bike forums :) will let you know how it goes...

      Delete