Sunday 9 September 2012

Cocker cock

The cockerel didn't learn to crow properly, but he sure did do it LOUD.
So we had to get rid of him. We were going to put him in the pot, but we decided to get some more chickens from the same guy (despite mistake with sexing which is apparently normal as it is hard to tell when they are young) and when I emailed him he offered to swap the two cockerels for hens. He couldn't give us the hens for a couple of weeks because he had an illness in the flock and wanted to wait until treatment had definitely been successful. We were going to wait and take the cockerels back at the same time. But with the crowing getting louder and earlier each morning we had to do an emergency trip to offload them. This is where they are now living... or maybe he put them straight in the pot as he lives in a small town and I don't imagine the neighbours enjoying the noise.

On a slightly different but related (in my mind) topic we had some quail for dinner the other night. We didn't have to kill them or gut them but they did have heads on and stared at me until I chopped them off, minced them up and fed them to Poppy.
So have made one small step closer to slaughter from being unable to buy the rabbit with head on (although I must admit I didn't notice they had their heads when I bought them)

No comments:

Post a Comment