Sunday 3 April 2016

Two skirts

The black one still needs hemming, but otherwise both are finished.


There are many mistakes and bits that had to be done as best I could. Both zips leave a lot to be desired.


But, as they say, practice makes perfect and hopefully if I keep at it, it will get better.

The understitching on the waist bankd went well.


The flowery one is the same pattern as the black one with white spots I made on a course a while ago. I altered the pattern a bit as most skirts hang lower at the front than at the back on me. I thought it was because of my 'generous' bottom, but I have discovered in trying to do the alteration that it is actually because my waist is lower at the front than the back.


You can see that unlike the one above, where the front and back are the same length, the front is lower at the top, and the back is a little longer at the bottom.


Unaltered. Back is on the left and front on the right, they are touching where they will be sewn down the side. Two are cut of each obviously.

Altered

Recopied after altering. You can see there is now two darts at the back and none at the front. The fit is much better and the skirt hangs straight. 

The black skirt is a 'Very Easy' pattern from Vogue. I am not ready to try difficult patterns!!
I altered the pattern very slightly to shorten the front and lengthen the back, just by adding and cutting from the hem. I actually did this one first which was why I embarked on the more complex thing on the other skirt.

The flower skirt I really like even though the waist band is a mess. The black one has a funny shape at the front caused by the waist band (I prefer to look at it that way rather than saying it is caused by my tummy sticking out). It looks ok in the photo where I am holding my tummy in,  perhaps it will soften with washing the fabric again. I think I made it slightly too big too. On the whole I am glad I made this with cheap experimental fabric not anything too nice.

Next I might try an easy dress. I have a bias cut skirt I want to make too.

No comments:

Post a Comment