Saturday 1 March 2014

Making Pork Scratchings

I have always thought that doing these at top temperature was the correct way, but I have never really had a successful batch - it often was starting to burn before it was anywhere near crispy. A friend gave us some very delicious ones made at 200C. I was then making lard which I did at 90C and found that the skin still started to crackle.
I had a fair bit of skin to experiment with as I was processing the pig. My conclusion is that you should soak the skin in salt water for a little while (30 mins perhaps) and then put in a single layer on a ceramic dish (for some reason cooks better than on metal) and cook at 180C until done - which is when they are a golden brown colour and hard or very nearly hard all over, slight soft bits will still set hard and crispy. 
Keeps well in an air tight tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment