Saturday 29 March 2014

Bunny babies

I haven't managed to get an accurate count, but I think there are seven or eight. They are growing some ginger fur (they were pink with no fur when born) but their eyes won't open for perhaps another week. 
I found one out of the nest this morning, I think they must have just been fed as it had a huge fat belly which I could see the white of the milk through. Apparently they can get dragged out if they are still feeding when the mother leaves. It was fine though and I put it back in to the nest with its sibblings. 
They have uncovered themselves at the moment in the warmth of the sun, hopefully they will be able to get the fur back over them when it gets colder this evening - we will check anyway. If you touch the nest they all reach their heads up and squeek madly. They are searching for a nipple, the mother rabbits feed the babies by standing over them and the babies reach up out of the nest - apparently - I haven't seen it as they only get nursed once or twice a day for a few minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment