Wednesday 6 June 2018

Coulommiers with mould

I have made ‘English style’ coulommiers quite a few times - which is a cream cheese.
I decided it was time to trying a moulded (brie like) version as they make in France.
First time I have tried a cheese like this. Bit scary!

I used the exact same recipe except I added Penicillium Candidum culture (1/16th tsp for 2 l milk) just before I added the rennet.

I drained for 12 hours one way up, then turned and drained for a further 12the other way up.
I then salted top and turned and drained for 12 hours, then repeated on the other side.
I then let it dry for another day.
Once surface was dry I put in a closed container in cheese fridge at 12 degrees for about 15 days until well moulded. I turned every day and patted the mould down each time.
I then aged in the normal fridge at 4°C for a further month.

The first one I made of these I left it outside the fridge instead of in the cheese fridge and it came out bitter.

The mould is just starting to grow in this photo
u


No comments:

Post a Comment