Saturday 3 June 2017

Bread, bread and more bread and sourdough bread

I make bread quite often, but it never comes out quite right. It is fine, but not amazing. I have come to the conclusion that this is because the bread flour they sell in the supermarket here just isn't great. Possibly because it is a small supermarket, but I think more because France has such great bakeries there isn't much interest in homemade bread so they don't have the variety we have in the UK.

I had a sourdough starter a few years ago, but did not keep it up. I have brought some bread flour from the uk and started a new starter. On holiday last week I made quite a few bread products to get in to practice.

Here is the starter. It is going better than the previous one because I have realised I was starving the other one which was indicated by it forming a brown liquid on top. Outside the fridge they need approx a third of their weigh removing every day and replacing with 50% water 50% flour. If you keep it in the fridge you need to do this about one a week instead of every day. I am keeping this one in the fridge.
You can use other proportions of flour and water, but this 50:50 flour and water is called a 100% hydration starter which is what I have gone for as it makes calculations in recipes simple.

 These are sourdough English muffins. I think the dough was a little bit too wet.


But they came out pretty well. There are now plenty in the freezer for Doug to take out and toast for weekday lunches

Sourdough pizza

A really really dud loaf that spread out way too much when rising. Actually it tasted fine, but the shape was no good.


Crumb not too bad


So I got a proofing basket

The first loaf from this came out as the best loaf of bread EVER!
I used the no-knead and baking in a casserole dish method
The dough is 67% hydration

450g flour (strong white)
50g flour (strong white for the morning)
100g 100% hydration starter
320g water
5g salt (1 tsp)

Mix together the flour, liquid and starter (but not the final 50g of flour for the morning or the salt)
Leave to rise overnight
Add the final bit of flour and the salt and mix well
Put in the proofing basket as per any instructions you find on the internet - it goes with the smooth side at the bottom.

Tip out of the basket into the casserole dish, or on to whatever you are going to cook the loaf on and bake as normal.


Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment