Tuesday 29 November 2016

Toastmasters - Evaluation

An important part of how you learn at toastmasters is getting feedback from your fellow members. This means that you have to learn to give evaluations to people.
I did my first evaluation on Monday for someone who has completed the first series of 10 speeches (that I am working through) and has gone on to one of the advanced series. The one she is doing is Storytelling.

ADVANCED COMMUNICATION SERIES
STORYTELLING

Assignment #1:
THE FOLK TALE
Objectives
· To tell a folk tale that is entertaining and enjoyable for a specific age group.
· To use vivid imagery and voice to enhance the tale.
· TIME : 7 to 9 minutes
Note to the Evaluator:
The purpose of this talk was for the speaker to tell, not read, a folk tale. The speaker
should not act out the story, but instead interpret it for the audience, using voice and imagery.


I was given the following advice about how to do an evaluation:

Top tips for evaluation

Have a structure.
C - R - C is good.

Commend 
Start with 2 things you liked. Say what you liked about them and how they supported or impacted the speech/audience.

Recommend
One suggestion for next time. 
Explain what they could do differently or instead. 

Final commend
This can be the thing you liked best about the speech.

Other top tips

1.Do the evaluation in the 3rd person. So instead of saying You did xxxx. Say Angela did xxx.

This can be weird at first to get your head around. Doing it in the 3rd person means everyone else will pay more attention.

2. Avoid but and however. Go for more positives like 'and' or 'next time' Angela could try.

3. When you start your evaluation recap the objectives of the speech. If you can try to evaluate against the objectives. It is helpful too if you can include a bit on delivery skills (eye contact voice or body language)

I cannot say I think I deserved this. I think people just found me quite funny and they always vote for humour. I think someone else did a much better evaluation of a harder to evaluate speech - and they hadn't had pre-warning of what the speech was meant to cover which I had... but still...

No comments:

Post a Comment