Monday 19 November 2012

New toy

This arrived just before I came to the UK
It is an All American (that is the name not a description) pressure canner. The seal between the lid and the bottom is 'metal to metal' and doesn't have a rubber washer or anything which seems very clever. It weights a tonne (approx).

I processed a batch of creme de marron (sweet chestunut puree) before I came away, but obviously managed to do something not quite right as some of the liquid got out of the jars in to the water. I am not sure if I managed to boil the contents of if the liquid was sucked out of the jars by the pressure dropping to fast. I need to study the internet and try again.

The reason for buying it, is to preserve the creme de marron and perhaps in the future can (or jar or whatever you want to call it - americans call it canning even when it is in to glass jars) meat and veg. You don't need to bother with jam and most chutneys because of the high acidity, but low acidity food needs to be processed at a higher temperature to avoid botulism

No comments:

Post a Comment