Sunday 19 June 2022

Extreme chicken protection needed

We have been having terrible problems with birds eating the chickens (sparrow hawks and kites) and their eggs too (crows).

They have also turned their area in to a muddy waste land. 

The plan now is to instal some cages. This will be on top of the electric fence already round the area, so they won’t need to be fox proof. 

This will have the added advantage of keeping the different breeds separate, which will make the chicks easier to sell (I went mad hatching different breeds and can’t settle on a favourite!). I’ll try to get the rest of the fenced area back to grass and then they can have some time roaming free and eating grass, hopefully without overloading and killing it…

I’ve actually sold this guy and his 3 wives because they aren’t used to living in this smaller area and although the cockerel is happy not to be attached by Lucky all the time, I think ones that grew up in a smaller area, and more used to me will be happier, so I am keeping some of their eggs to hatch more…


Lucky checking out the new accommodation… I have some worry it will blow away, maybe he does too…

There is a chance I got a bit carried away cutting some branches off the trees in the encosure to make room for the 2nd cage…  Should be doing the house instead! but poor chickens need their safe home…



No comments:

Post a Comment