Tuesday 4 February 2020

Sourdough bread

With all the excitement of the bread lesson, and having made a lot of bread recently, I have started a new sourdough. I have had them before and they normally go well for a little while but I struggle with getting the bread to rise properly and end up neglecting them and going back to yeast. The bread does taste great, maybe now with so much practice of 'normal' bread the sourdough bread will go better...
This is the first bread (roll) from it which was very tasty and had risen well. Now I just need to keep it alive and well!


 It is a rye starter which is why the bread is a bit brown. The rye flour is extra nutritious for the yeast, and it adds a nice flavour. I am trying a bit of a different technique to previous ones, where you keep and feed a lot less starter and build it up just before baking. Part of the stress I have had with previous ones is that it takes a lot of flour feeding them and the two of us couldn't eat enough to stop there being wasted starter that we didn't use - which seemed to defeat some of the point of making your own bread... so then I didn't feed it enough to avoid waste and it wasn't v healthy...

No comments:

Post a Comment