Tuesday 29 May 2018

Making (not) Cheddar cheese

I am really hoping that this will come out as a cheese which will melt for toasted chees. Other attempts I have made have not. There is a lot of suspense with hard cheeses as you have to wait for weeks or months to see how they came out.

I am planning on making a number of these so I can try at different ages... it is a slow process inputting what I learn from the results as there is a good chance we won’t still be milking by the time I get to try the first one... so it will be a while till I get a chance to try again with our own milk. I am hoping I will write enough detail here to be able to pick it up again.

I followed the Mad Millies recipe here, but not using their culture, rennet etc
I don’t think it is a really a cheddar (there is no cheddaring!) but I needed something simple to start with.

1/8th tsp mesophilic culture (I used this https://www.gnltd.co.uk/goat-nutrition/cheese-making-products/cheese-making-cultures/mesophilic-type-ii-cheese-culture-for-cheese-making.html)
1/8 tsp animal rennet mixed with a 1/4cup previously boiled water. It was probably a little bit more than that.
6l raw jersey milk, still warm from the cow
3/4 tblsp salt

Heated milk to 32°C then added the culture, left for 45 mins in warm room. Was 31° at end of time
Added diluted rennet and left for 60 mins. I put the pan in another pan with 32° water in it.
Was thr clean break good enough? Not sure... perhaps should have left a bit longer or used a spot more rennet.
Also I didn’t top stir so layer of cream on the surface...
Cut the curd in to 1cm cubes (probably a bit bigger and they were trapizoid in shape). I cut with a palette knife in one dirction, then at 90° and then again along the first lines with the knife at 45° to vertical.
Left for 10 mins for the curds to start draining a bit, else they all break up when i stir.
Temp was 30°C at this point.
Raised heat to 38°C over 30 mins in the water bath stirred gently occasionally during this.
It actually took more like 40 mins
Drained curds.
Left to drain in a cheese cloth for about 2 hours (longer than the recipe, because I had to go out). I actually left in a colander and I think it drained less well because of that.
Broke curd in to chunks about 2cm across and stirred in 3/4 tblsp salt
Put in to press - however slight setback here as it didn’t fit v well so had to press differently to the instructions.

Pressed 12 hours at 10lb
Turned, then 10 mins at 20lb
Turned, then 6 hrs at 50lb

Still didn’t quite fit so just turned and pressed gently to try to get the right shape. Hopefully it will work out ok despite not being pressed as hard as it should have been.

It is the middle cheese here.





No comments:

Post a Comment