Sunday 4 March 2018

Gross picture of rabbit abscess (only read if you can handle it!)

This post is a bit gross so you may well want to skip it. But I want it in my 'diary'!

I have read that rabbits quite commonly get abscesses, but we have never had one before.

I noticed a big lump on Koala's face (he is one of the new rabbits). It is a solid lump here between my fingers (blue because I sprayed antibiotic on it)

Closer up. I am on a meat rabbit forum and the advice was that I had to lance it and let the puss out because otherwise it bursting might cause worse damage - and the poor guy was uncomfortable too, though still eating and drinking fine.

As per advice on the internet, I had to slice into it with a razer blade because rabbit puss is very gloopy and thick - they lack an enzyme that most other animals have that breaks it down apparently.
This is part of the way through the process of getting rid of it.
GROSS!!!

This left a huge hole in the poor fellows face. I put antibiotic spray (oxytetracycline) in it and will do so every day for a week.

Wish poor Koala a speedy recovery, rabbits are quite delicate and this has been quite traumatic for him, so we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment