Saturday 7 October 2017

Preserving things

We have many many apples so I have tried pasturising some juice. I haven't done very much in case it doesn't work out, if it does we will do more next year. For some reason it tastes more sour than the same juice not pasturised, I will have to add a little sugar next time.

This is our juicer, it is good because you can put whole apples in it, however it makes quite a mess and makes very foamy juice that has to be allowed to settle then the juice poured out from under the foam to get the lovely clear juice.


I also made Rose-hip and Apple Jelly with rose-hips we picked up in the mountains. It didn't use that many apples as we only had enough rose-hips for one jar.



Not apple related I made some mango chutney as I am on a never ending mission to find the right recipe. It needs to mature a bit before we find out, but it is looking better than previous versions (they all come out looking too much like mango and not as clear and shiny looking as 'real' mango chutney. This lot was made with very ripe mangos which I think could be the difference. I should have boiled the fruit a bit more before adding the sugar and I think more sugar would give a better texture possibly. However I expect it to taste good.


No comments:

Post a Comment