Tuesday 14 April 2015

Viili yogurt - yuck

My advice is, never buy viili yogurt. I feel I should give it more of a chance, but frankly it is foul.
It is a Finnish mesophilic (cultures at room temperature) yogurt culture that I thought would be ideal to make fresh yogurt in London (where we don't have a yogurt maker). 
I admit the reviews sounded a bit interesting describing it as 'stringy'. In my view it is pretty much like eating emulsion paint, but with a slightly more off milk flavour. The texture is the same and some of the solvent smell.
The picture can't capture the weirdness of the texture. It is pretty hard to get on a spoon and up to yout mouth kind of like it might be trying to spoon up spagetti - it doesn't stay on the spoon and kind of festoons of the side. That is not right for yogurt! Although now I read more it seems normal for Viili.

I will try it a few more times before abandoning it for the very nice Kefir based yogurt culture we have in France as drinking yoghurt, I just thought this might be thicker and therefore better as an eating yogurt. But no...

No comments:

Post a Comment